[illumos-Developer] Ugh... xdr_{float,double} problems

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Tue Feb 1 10:57:23 PST 2011

On 02/ 1/11 06:55 AM, Deano wrote:
> A compiler error would be preferred it I was porting, I rather have the
> compiler mark "Here be dragons" then find it after hours of hard debugging
> some obscure rounding error later on.
>
> Done a fair amount of platform porting and I always prefer the compiler to
> just stop than try and patch over things that aren't really patch over-able.

Not disagreeing with that point, but don't we have the potential to have
a reasonable "portable" version here that works for all platforms
(albeit slower)?

Having such a portable version might also aid people who want to develop
a CPU specific optimized version, since then they'll have a known good
implementation to compare against.

     - Garrett