[illumos-Developer] Ugh... xdr_{float,double} problems

Deano deano at rattie.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 11:32:18 PST 2011

Garrett Wrote
> Not disagreeing with that point, but don't we have the potential to have
> a reasonable "portable" version here that works for all platforms
> (albeit slower)?

If the portable version is, then that is fine but I got the feeling (maybe
incorrectly) that this is one of these cases where it is "probably" portable
but might have obscure corner cases. In that case I'd rather have an compile
warning "This code should work but buyer beware" when working on the port,
least then you know and can take appropriate action.

> Having such a portable version might also aid people who want to develop
> a CPU specific optimized version, since then they'll have a known good
>implementation to compare against.

Agreed. In situations like this, I'd leave the portable version in even with
an #error, its useful even if not perfect on a particular platform as a
reference.

Bye,
Deano
deano at cloudpixies.com