[illumos-Developer] Review --> iSCSI UNMAP support

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Thu Feb 10 10:10:12 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 09:43 -0800, Sumit Gupta wrote:

> Bill, I understand the zfs side of story. In every reply I gave, I am
> trying to raise only one very important issue which I feel is not
> getting addressed. unmap is defined as a part of thin provisioning in
> SCSI spec (SBC). So there is an expectation that when you unmap some
> space it goes back to pool so that other pool clients can use it. If
> you think that point itself is invalid then there is nothing else to
> discuss on this subject. Otherwise this issue needs to be addressed
> and without that the implementation is not correct.

The thing is, with a refreservation is a higher level reservation.  I
think it represents a ZFS property that exists outside of the scope of
UNMAP.

I see valuable uses for UNMAP even in the face of refreservation.  If an
admin has a reservation, then I think the principle of least surprise is
that we have to honor that reservation; as others have indicated, UNMAP
(akin to TRIM in SATA land) offers functionality beyond just
thin-provisioning.

All that said, I need to download the relevant T10 specs and read the
precise wording.

	- Garrett