[illumos-Developer] WEBREV 719 beadm should support non-IPS BEs

Alexander Stetsenko ams at nexenta.com
Sun Feb 27 12:57:33 PST 2011

  On 02/27/11 10:54 PM, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> On 02/27/11 07:45, Alexander Stetsenko wrote:
>> If the first one is set then boot environments are located directly in
>> root dataset and look like <pool>/<bename>, otherwise they are located
>> in <pool>/ROOT.
>> The second parameter will help to find valid be names.
>>
>> For example the NCP BE name is like syspool/rootfs-nmu-...
>> default parameters should be:
>> RPOOL_CONTAINER=1
>> BENAME_STARTS_WITH=rootfs-nmu
>
> first, this seems really messy, and I don't see what this has to do
> with IPS -- both IPS and live upgrade put filesystems containing BE's
> under $rpool/ROOT.
no, every pool containing ROOT filesystem (<poolname>/ROOT) are
considered to be BE root container.
it seems strange for me.
You can create pool1/ROOT/aaa pool2/ROOT/bbb etc. and beadm will
show aaa and bbb in be list.

> second, it seems like you could get by with a single parameter:
>
> BENAME_PREFIX, defaulting to ROOT/
>
> why have two tunables where one is sufficient?
one parameter should make 2 things:
fist is to point out there is no special ROOT container for be, and new
be is created in rpool root.
second is to point out be fs names inside root fs
now, it is possible to use only BENAME_STARTS_WITH for rpool/ROOT.
BENAME_PREFIX should contain pool name and be dataset prefix (like
mypool/rootfs-...)
but if mypool is not pool name of active be libbe will not work incorrectly.
IMHO to detect rpool container dynamically from active be is better than
to get static (possibly wrong) value from /etc/default/be.