[illumos-Developer] Questions on the ISC DHCP server

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jan 4 13:54:39 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 08:00:28AM -0800, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> I've no particular preference of either the Sun or the ISC dhcp server.
> Some people have strong preferences one way or the other.

I'm certainly not proposing to replace the Sun DHCP server with the ISC
server.  Both have their reasons for being.  Both should be available
to be installed at the admin's preference.

> As far as integration in illumos... I think for now this should wait if
> only because it is likely to be controversial.

I understand that problem.

> You are of course free to integrate it into our own illumos workspace
> and point others at it.

But that would result in a proliferation of IPS repositories, one for
each developer.  It would certainly be better for delelopers to pool
their efforts into a limited number of repositories.

I gather from another message that existing consolidations don't
provide much guidance for choice of repository.  For example, the Sun
DHCP server is in the ON consolidation, but the DNS server is in the
SFW consolidation.  The former was developed within Sun.  The latter
benefits from upstream development at ISC.  Both are available from
the same repository.

I suppose we really need some guidelines.  What determines the choice
between illumos repositories and openindiana repositories?  What
repositories permit upstream development?  Is there a repository for
the SFW consolidation?  Is it open to contributions?  How are install
locations related to choice of repository?