[illumos-Developer] Requesting code review for opensource /usr/xpg4/bin/more replacement with "less" ...

Gordon Ross Gordon.Ross at nexenta.com
Thu Jan 20 11:55:22 PST 2011

I would go with plain regex, as that's what less uses now,
as well as xpg4/bin/more.

Builds under usr/src/cmd normally don't use the separate
compile directories for each target (i386, sparc).
Please put the sources directly under usr/src/cmd/less
and use one Makefile that builds for the default target.
(i386, sparc)  No need for 64-bit here, btw.

Some more specific comments by file:

* usr/src/cmd/less/Makefile.com
This file should become usr/src/cmd/less/Makefile
with appropriate adjustments.

You don't need to add -I$(ROOT)/usr/include
as that comes from make includes.

What was the reason for adding these?
 -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 -D__EXTENSIONS__=1
Looks like the existing one (from SFW) did not use those.
Did you observe any actual POSIX conformance problems
when less is built without those flags?

I believe if you instead clear CCVERBOSE,
you don't need to set all those ERRWARN flags.

And in general, try to make this more like other
usr/src/cmd/* Makefiles.

* usr/src/cmd/less/screen.c
errors out when I try to compile it with the
normal ON build flags (-w no implicit)
I would just add the four missing declarations.