[illumos-Developer] Support for tuning iSCSI exported inquiry information

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Fri Jan 21 22:24:05 PST 2011

For various reasons, we have in our product a need to override the
default vendor and serial number in the exported COMSTAR target.
Currently we do this via a private patch to COMSTAR in our code base,
that allows for these values to be overridden using driver.conf
properties.

I'd like to possibly integrate this change into illumos -- it may prove
useful to others, or it might not.  It will certainly make our lives
easier since its easier to patch a .conf than to patch C code on
subsequent merges.

Are there any fundamental objections to having such functionality arrive
in illumos?  (It does not change any "hot" code paths, notably.)