[illumos-Developer] Review for #429 iostat -E does not report serial number

Mike Riley lvskiprof at cox.net
Sat Jan 22 17:51:06 PST 2011

On 01/20/11 11:47, Alexander Eremin wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2011, at 10:33 PM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 22:23 +0300, Alexander Eremin wrote
>
>> Requesting code review for #429 iostat -E does not report serial number
>>>
>>> webrev: http://cr.opensolaris.org/~alhazred/illumos-gate-stat/
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Alexander
>>>

>> Looks good to me. I see no reason that serial numbers should be
>> restricted to Sun drives.
>>
>> I kind of am not thrilled about the special handling for Sun qualified
>> drives in this driver .. it may be time to go back and re-examine all
>> that logic throughout the sd driver.
>>
>> - Garrett
>>

> Yes, it seems it's a question for other parts like devid, etc.
> We must return later and check special "SUN"-related code more widely.

Yes, sd has lots of cruft in it.  The checking you mention is to lock you in to Sun hardware.  I
was told that on every drive Sun qualified they had to request firmware changes (this was like
10 years ago), because they always found some issue with the factory version.  But it also meant
you could not just run out and get a different drive, and if you needed more space you might
have to upgrade the entire system.

Mike