[illumos-Developer] Device type of my rpool is 'devfs' instead of 'zfs'

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 6 06:33:24 PDT 2011

I'm really not sure quite what you're after.

fstyp(1M) will tell you what sort of filesystem is on a block device...

andrew at opensolaris:~# zpool status
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format.  The pool can
    still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
    pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.
 scan: none requested
config:

    NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
      c7d0s0    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
andrew at opensolaris:~# fstyp /dev/dsk/c7d0s0
zfs
andrew at opensolaris:~#

It looks like fstyp might have only fairly recently started recognising
zfs filesystems. I tried it on an snv_125 system first, and it didn't
recognise zfs (even though the system has the backend files
/usr/lib/fs/zfs/fstyp*).

In your stat case, you are getting the filesystem type of the filesystem
containing the /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 device node link, which is the devfs
virtual filesystem which presents all the the /dev device tree.

--
Andrew