[illumos-Developer] [dtrace-discuss] dynamic size argument to tracemem()

Adam Leventhal ahl at delphix.com
Tue Jul 12 17:37:18 PDT 2011

Hey Bryan,

> Yeah, I did consider that and we had a conversation about that here.
> The consensus was that implicitly clamping it was the cleaner behavior
> -- that the closest analogue here was the clamping behavior of strsize
> (where you don't see an error, just a silent clamping) and that you
> don't want to see the console flooded with error messages in the case
> where it's consistently larger than the static size.  What are your
> thoughts?

I guess I can see it both ways. On one hand, I might just care about
the first N bytes of a structure, and on the other I might want to
know that I've failed to record the data I'm trying to trace. Could we
treat it like a drop so you're not flooded with errors? I think I'd
prefer that it generate some kind of warning output -- it would be
very easy for users to do tracemem(`foo, 128, MAX(size, 128)); if they
wanted the error ignored.

Adam

--
Adam Leventhal, Delphix