[illumos-Developer] 1073-r1

Bayard G. Bell buffer.g.overflow at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 13:33:12 PDT 2011

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 06:53:40 -0700
Adam Leventhal <ahl at delphix.com> wrote:

> Hey Bayard,
>
> > usr/src/uts/i86pc/cpr/Makefile
> >       58 +#       bootdev is marginal because the only explicitly
> > identified 59 +#       dependency is for SPARC-specific code.
> > I'm confused by that comment. Can you elaborate?
> >
> > This is an attempt to preserve in some form the original comment in
> > cpr.c: char _depends_on[] = "misc/bootdev";     /*
> > i_devname_to_promname() */ IIRC the referenced symbol is only
> > relevant to SPARC. I was slightly sceptical that this was the whole
> > truth, so I tried to comment to that effect. I'm open to
> > suggestions for a better gloss or a correction of the understanding
> > that led me to this summary.
>
> The comment just adds more confusion. How about something like this:
> The dependency on bootdev is required because of the use of <name of
> symbol>. The use of this may only be necessary on SPARC; removing its
> use would eliminate the need for the dependency on bootdev.
>
> Looks good to me.

So how about:

-#      Override defaults
-#      bootdev is marginal because the only explicitly identified
-#      dependency is for SPARC-specific code.
+#      bootdev required as per inline comment referencing symbol
+#      i_devname_to_promname(), which may only be necessary on SPARC.
Removing
+#      this symbol may be sufficient to remove depedency.

I've had extensive feedback thus far from ahl, richlowe, and gdamore.
Assuming that this comment is resolved, can I put in an RTI giving
the three of you as reviewers?

Cheers,
Bayard