[illumos-Developer] NFSv4 exclusive open breaks ACL's

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Tue Jul 19 18:05:34 PDT 2011

On 7/19/2011 12:38 AM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Without committing to a schedule, let me say *yes* it is under active
> development, with availability anticipated "soon".

Cool, I look forward to seeing it.

Of course, even with a 4.1 compliant server in hand, the problem isn't
completely resolved until all clients are the same. It seems my thread
got hijacked to discuss Oracle source code copyrights :), and I didn't
hear from anyone about the possibility of a workaround in the existing
v4 server. I'd be interested in working on it, but coming from a
complete lack of familiarity with the solaris nfs server code, it would
be nice if someone in the know could ballpark where the effort might
fall in the "not too hard" to "virtually impossible" range ;). On the
one hand, considering Sun hasn't fixed it for over 15 years, one might
assume it's intractable -- on the other hand, there have been a *lot* of
trivial things Sun refused to fix for me over the years that I could
have knocked out in a couple hours...

> there are sound business reasons why it might be a good idea not to
> release source for a product before the actual product is made
> commercially available. :-)

There are some companies for which I don't begrudge a profit motive ;).
If you guys supported NexentaStor as a general-purpose operating system,
I might be trying to give you some money myself :).

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson at csupomona.edu
California State Polytechnic University  |  Pomona CA 91768