[illumos-Developer] Solaris Future?

Тима ge-star at mail.ru
Tue Jul 26 03:59:09 PDT 2011

Hello, Illumos Team!

My name is Tima, I´m new on this list.
I repost this questions to this list from OpenIndiana New Developers list.

I have some skills on using Solaris (Open, Indiana) as a workstation and small workgroup server. And I like this OS.
Due to changes that Solaris community (including as users as developers) had to live through the last year I have
few questions:
Will it live? I mean will OpenSolaris/Indiana (and SunOS kernel exactly ) _progress_? Not only live out it´s last days.

Now I´m using OpenIndiana 148 on Samsung Q70. They appear wonderful symbiosis!
But freshly downloaded build 151 even DID NOT START on modern Acer Aspire TimeLineX.
As I think it means that SunOS kernel 5.11 is really old for our days. It does not support Intel GMA built in Core i5 and maybe
it even does not fully support Core i5 itself, it does not support nVidia Optimus technology, and very very much modern
NICs, Sound Cards, protocols, filesystems etc. It (I´m sure) does not support USB3.0, and what´s about SSD?

So, I see the main direction to work in - is upgrading the kernel. Very very hard, strong, power kernel upgrade.
Are there such plans in community?