[illumos-Developer] Solaris Future?

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Tue Jul 26 04:17:54 PDT 2011

  On 07/26/11 05:59 PM, Тима wrote:
> Hello, Illumos Team!
>
> My name is Tima, I´m new on this list.
> I repost this questions to this list from OpenIndiana New Developers list.
>
> I have some skills on using Solaris (Open, Indiana) as a workstation
> and small workgroup server. And I like this OS.
> Due to changes that Solaris community (including as users as
> developers) had to live through the last year I have
> few questions:
> Will it live? I mean will OpenSolaris/Indiana (and SunOS kernel
> exactly ) _progress_? Not only live out it´s last days.
>
> Now I´m using OpenIndiana 148 on Samsung Q70. They appear wonderful
> symbiosis!
> But freshly downloaded build 151 even DID NOT START on modern Acer
> Aspire TimeLineX.
> As I think it means that SunOS kernel 5.11 is really old for our days.
> It does not support Intel GMA built in Core i5 and maybe
> it even does not fully support Core i5 itself, it does not support
> nVidia Optimus technology

There is already support for AVX in the kernel, but the Sun Studio/gcc
that compilers that come with the system don't support it.  libc/libm
also don't have optimized versions, but this is rectifiable.  (Our
compilers/gcc should support it, but I've not tested on real hw + OI)

I'm unclear what's under the hood for Optimus support, but I suspect
it's possibly a combination of Intel/NVIDIA driver support and enabling
it in the bios.

Intel used to provide really good support on Solaris, but I'm not sure
if that's still the case?  If it wholly depends on the NVIDIA drivers I
suspect it'll just work as it would on linux.

When you say it didn't start what *exactly* do you mean?  Try flipping
the ata/achi setting in the bios and seeing if that lets the live cd
work.  Also please try an older opensolaris to see if that works and
report back.

Good luck

./C