[illumos-Developer] Solaris Future?

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Tue Jul 26 21:37:58 PDT 2011

This is actually much harder to do well than it sounds, owing mostly to the fact that other OS' don't always have a narrow or even stable driver ABI.  Windows does a better job here than any of the free OS', but it is so unlike the others that its the hardest to adapt to.

Add to that the extra support headaches of dealing with "foreign" code, and I really think its best to have decent native open source drivers where possible.

Mostly our problem now is resourcing... we need more volunteers!