[illumos-Developer] Solaris Future?

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Jul 27 06:19:19 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 09:37:58PM -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:

> This is actually much harder to do well than it sounds, owing mostly
> to the fact that other OS' don't always have a narrow or even stable
> driver ABI.  Windows does a better job here than any of the free
> OS', but it is so unlike the others that its the hardest to adapt
> to.
>
> Add to that the extra support headaches of dealing with "foreign"
> code, and I really think its best to have decent native open source
> drivers where possible.
>
> Mostly our problem now is resourcing... we need more volunteers!

Where do we start in writing illumos drivers?  Is there a document and
a set of examples?  I'd like to help, but I understand that I'd also
need both the associated hardware and the specifications for that
hardware.  The selection of hardware I have now is quite limited.  I
have no specifications for it.