[illumos-Developer] Illumos device drivers (Was: Solaris Future?)

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jul 28 09:21:28 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 11:24:35PM +1000, James C. McPherson wrote:
> On 27/07/11 11:19 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> >
> >Where do we start in writing illumos drivers?  Is there a document and
> >a set of examples?  I'd like to help, but I understand that I'd also
> >need both the associated hardware and the specifications for that
> >hardware.  The selection of hardware I have now is quite limited.  I
> >have no specifications for it.
>
> I'm pretty sure that the Writing Device Drivers Guide
> on OTN would be your best best.
>
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19963-01/index.html, search for
> the above title.

Thanks.  I've reviewed that document and the tutorial as well.  It's
quite clear that the operating system aspect of device drivers is
well-described and well-documented.  All I have to do is to follow the
rules scrupulously.  The other aspect is, of course, the hardware.

The only hardware I have that doesn't work with Illumos now is my Acer
AS3810T-6827 laptop.  It hangs part way through the boot process,
apparently because of a USB problem.  This happens with both a USB
stick and a USB DVD reader.  It doesn't have an internal DVD drive,
making it difficult to debug this problem.  Is there a way to proceed
with this one, or should I try something else?