[illumos-Developer] Illumos device drivers (Was: Solaris Future?)

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jul 28 12:01:23 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 10:54:38PM +0530, pavan tc wrote:

>    Not sure if the boot/installation CD/DVD has kmdb. No harm in trying
>    though.
>    Once you get the GRUB menu, press 'e' on the selected entry. Then,
>    move
>    to the 'kernel$' line and press 'e' again. This will allow you to edit
>    that line.
>    Add a '-k' in front of kernel/drv/unix. Hit enter. Type 'b' to boot.
>    That should load KMDB.
>    If this works, you are off to a good start. Second, pray that there is
>    a console
>    message indicating the possible locality of the problem. If that is of
>    any help,
>    you can pursue the debugging exercise to the next step.

Yes, I've tried that many times.  At the end of a boot `-kdv', I get
this, which I copied from the screen:

    acpinex0 at root
    acpinex0 is /fw
    acpinex: cpu at 1, cpudrv0
    /fw/cpu at 1 (cpudrv0) online
    pseudo-device: dld0
    dld0 is /pseudo/dld at 0
    /* hung */

I don't know enough about the kernel to know where to put breakpoints,
or enough about kmdb to know how to use them effectively.