[illumos-Developer] Available MSI(-x) interrupt limit.

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Tue Jun 7 07:51:25 PDT 2011

Yes.    The limit comes from the fact that ill behaved devices/drivers could easily consume all the interrupts on a system, preventing other devices from attaching.  There was a recent rearchitecture of the interrupt code specifically for MSI-X that offers far more interrupt vectors to devices, in exchange for the device registering a callback indicating a willingness to return interrupts back to the system when they become scarce.

There's also a legacy override somewhere that you can use for specific devices, but it isn't documented.  I don't remember the name of the override, but it can grow the set up to 8.

  -- Garrett D'Amore