[illumos-Developer] HAL with RBAC

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Mon Jun 20 09:25:17 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 16:39 +0100, Andrew Stormont wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > Also, you need to use Nexenta copyrights on this stuff.  One of the
> side effects of working for a company is that your work on stuff
> associated with your employer
> > becomes the property of your employer.
>

> Yeah I was a little unsure about that as this was a weekend project of
> mine.

Yeah, sadly US/California law doesn't recognize your own time unless it
is on unrelated projects.  I learned that the hard way myself.

> > You did not check the return value from g_strdup for NULL
>

> The old code didn't check for NULL either but I see your point.  I
> will fix this.

Thanks.

> > Is the Hal upstream dead?
>

> HAL is currently in maintenance state which means they're only
> accepting bug fixes.  They do have a solaris backend though which is
> very broken so maybe they'd still accept fixes to that.  I'm not sure
> if it makes a lot of difference to us either way.
>

> > Because one effect of these changes that I can see is that it would
> be harder to merge from the upstream.
>

> I wouldn't worry about this making it harder to merge from upstream
> because the PolicyKit code we already have in place is completely
> incompatible with what upstream has.  Essentially what I've just done
> is replaced one incompatible thing with another that has one less
> dependency, and HAL is the only user of our current PolicyKit
> implementation.

This is good information.  Given this, I agree that the divergence from
the upstream is probably reasonable.  Given that, does it make sense to
just yank the #ifdef sun checks?

	- Garrett