[illumos-Developer] HAL with RBAC

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Mon Jun 20 10:08:33 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 10:03 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 06/20/11 09:49 AM, Erik Trimble wrote:
> > And, back on topic:  If this leads to killing HAL, I'm OK with that.
>
> And you're okay with destroying the ability to run Xorg & GNOME?
>
> HAL may be crap & dead, but no one has ever ported one of the replacement
> API's (libudev, etc.) to a Solaris-family kernel.

Nobody here is killing HAL.  All we're doing is making HAL not depend on
libpolkit.

That said, "modernizing" would be a nice thing to do, though admittedly
I'd be a lot happier about it if I didn't think that the landscape in
the Linux space was changing so often.  Porting the framework du jour is
really not an effective use of resources.