[illumos-Developer] HAL with RBAC

Erik Trimble erik.trimble at oracle.com
Mon Jun 20 12:56:37 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 10:08 -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 10:03 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> > On 06/20/11 09:49 AM, Erik Trimble wrote:
> > > And, back on topic:  If this leads to killing HAL, I'm OK with that.
> >
> > And you're okay with destroying the ability to run Xorg & GNOME?
> >
> > HAL may be crap & dead, but no one has ever ported one of the replacement
> > API's (libudev, etc.) to a Solaris-family kernel.
> >

> Nobody here is killing HAL.  All we're doing is making HAL not depend on
> libpolkit.
>
> That said, "modernizing" would be a nice thing to do, though admittedly
> I'd be a lot happier about it if I didn't think that the landscape in
> the Linux space was changing so often.  Porting the framework du jour is
> really not an effective use of resources.
>
> 	- Garrett

That's more my frame-of-mine (and, what I meant by
"flavor-of-the-month"). I'd be all in favor of dumping HAL if we could
find something stable and stick with it - the major sticking point is
Gnome support of whatever we chose to standardize on.  I don't want us
to have to follow the schizoid-with-ADHD development cycle of certain
projects.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support