[illumos-Developer] networking question - local address when virtual IP aliases exist?

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 11:28:47 PDT 2011

I'm seeing something odd when a system has virtual NICs, i.e. an "IP alias"
in addition to the system's primary IP address.  This situation often exists
with cluster setups where all cluster nodes have a "physical" IP that never
changes or moves, plus some set of "virtual" IP addresses that may move
to any physical host based on cluster fail-over logic, etc.

I don't have all the details yet, but it appears that outbound connections
are sometimes using the "physical" IP address as the local address,
and other times using a "virtual" IP as the local address.  Who cares?

Well, when the SMB service makes a connection to an AD server, the
AD server appears to decide we're an "impostor" trying to use some
other machine's AD account, and denies our logon request.

So...  Other than making the application bind the local endpoint using
an explicit IP address, is there any way to mark some interfaces as
more or less preferred for anonymous (local) IP bind requests?

Thanks,
Gordon