[illumos-Developer] cpuid extension

Jens Elkner jel+illumos at cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Mar 17 10:48:51 PDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:58:32PM -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> While I am not familiar with the particulars of these specific amd parts, if we can confirm the accuracy of the assertions in this patch, I see no reason we should not accept it.

One could be the replacement of X86_CHIPREV_AMD_10_REV_C with
X86_CHIPREV_AMD_10_REV_C{2,3} and X86_CHIPREV_AMD_10_REV_D with
X86_CHIPREV_AMD_10_REV_D{0,1} because of "backward comapt".

Wrt. illumos opengrok
http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/illumos-opengrok/usr/src/uts/i86pc/cpu/authenticamd/authamd_main.c#139
would be effected only.

However, even for related binaries this shouldn't be a problem, because
due to the #define stuff it gets inlined and thus is "standalone".

> Do you have test results?

Not sure, what is meant here.
The revision stuff (and the need to group) is deduced from the related AMD's
Revision as well as BIOS and Kernel Developer Guides (BKDG) available via
http://developer.amd.com/documentation/guides/Pages/default.aspx#revision_Guides
http://developer.amd.com/documentation/guides/Pages/default.aspx#developer_guides

Wrt. fmtopo: With the chip_amd.c patch /usr/lib/fm/fmd/fmtopo now shows
at least hc://*/memory-controller=*/dram-channel=*/chip-select=* - see
http://iws.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~elkner/osol/topo.diff

Couldn't verify ECC stuff since I've no ECC on the machine yet, but
since the BKDG does not mention relevant changes wrt. ECC for rev. D1 and E
it should work as expected.

> We also need you to verify your legal right to contribute this change.

Shouldn't be a problem, since the AMD docs are publicly available.

> I will follow up with more on this tomorrow.

OK - thanx!

> Jens Elkner <jel+illumos at cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
> >just a little question wrt.
> >http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/illumos-opengrok/usr/src/uts/intel/sys/x86_archext.h#X86_CHIPREV_AMD_10_REV_D
> >
> >Would be a change like this acceptable for illumos?:
> >http://iws.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~elkner/osol/cpuid.patch

Regards,
jel.
--
Otto-von-Guericke University     http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/
Department of Computer Science   Geb. 29 R 027, Universitaetsplatz 2