[illumos-Developer] Webrev: addition of Serbian language support

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Mon Mar 21 20:31:06 PDT 2011

I've added support for Serbian (Bosnian, Serbian, Montenegrin), and
would like a review:

http://mexico.purplecow.org/gdamore/webrev/serbian/

Note that in the package manifest, I state:

  15 #
  16 # A word about these languages.  In English we refer to these as
  17 # Serbo-Croatian (and would include Croatian in the list), but the
  18 # naming of the local dialects is an area of locale dispute in these
  19 # regions.  We have followed the precedent set by the Unicode CLDR
  20 # distribution, and used "sr" for Serbian (which includes Serbian,
  21 # Montenegrin, and Bosnian).  "hr" is used for Croatian.  Constructive
  22 # feedback from persons more familiar with these languages is welcome.
  23 #
  24 # Additionally, Serbian can be represented with both Cyrillic and
  25 # Latin alphabets.  Cyrillic is mandated by law within Serbia, but
  26 # Latin is used elsewhere.  Accordingly, sr_RS is based on the
  27 # Cyrillic Unicode data, while sr_BA and sr_ME use the Latin versions.
  28 # The complementary versions can be provided if there is deemed to be
  29 # cause.

Apart from that, this was a relatively straight-forward import of some
data files.  I have no idea who will find them useful, or whether my use
of "sr" in this context might stir up contention; as noted, I invite
commentary or suggestions from individuals more familiar with the
issues.

(The motivation here is that next years DebConf is going to be in
Serbia, so I'd like to have complete language support in case someone
attending there would like to try out illumos. :-)  I also was able to
get more clarification about the language issues as a result of my
membership on a Debian discussion list. :-)