[illumos-Developer] [REVIEW] sundry fixes to packaging (845, 847, 853, 854, 856, 858, 860)

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Tue Mar 29 14:04:12 PDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 16:50, Gordon Ross <gordon.w.ross at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most of this looks fine to me.  One question:
>
> Why not leave the symlink for /usr/xpg4/bin/sh
> in usr/src/pkg/manifests/system-xopen-xcu4.mf
> with the other links?  (and maybe /usr/xpg4/bin)
>
> This bit from issue 853 seems a bit strange:

Assuming you mean 845

> "When in a POSIX-y frame of mind, system(3C) will use /usr/xpg4/bin/sh"
> I would expect system(3C) to run /usr/bin/sh
> possibly with options to force "POSIX-y" behavior, if necessary.

That was never changed when /bin/sh became a shell capable of POSIX
behaviour.  I had filed #850 "system(3C) and similar could just use
/bin/sh" to track actually doing that, but wanted to integrate the
quick fix putting xpg4/bin/sh back where it used to be, we broke this
by moving xpg4/bin/sh _out_ of SUNWcs in the first place.

-- Rich