[illumos-Developer] Changing sd_io_time to 8?

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Tue May 3 09:20:46 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 12:09 -0400, Albert Lee wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Deano <deano at rattie.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Yes, but the SCSI commands and the support logic you need for cdroms are
> >> quite different from what you need for disks, even though there is a
> >> large area of overlap.  There's a reason that these are specified by
> >> different parts of the SCSI standards. :-)
> >>
> >>       - Garrett
> >

> > I agree with Garrett, the sd driver has to deal with
> >
> > SCSI drives
> > SCSI removable
> > SAS
> > ATA
> > SATA
> > ATAPI
>
> sd does not deal with traditional ATA or ATAPI devices, and SCSI
> devices with removable media use the same set of commands, so the
> distinction is not important.

sd absolutely does deal with cdroms on ATA.  It isn't used for spinning
rust on ATA, however.  I've not checked to see how this is translated --
I presume that the atapi code translates to SCSI.  (Ick!  *Why* do
people keep insisting that everything must look like a SCSI disk, even
things that have *nothing* to do with SCSI... Grrr....  This is why I
wrote blkdev -- to provide a way out for simple block oriented storage.)

	- Garrett