[illumos-Developer] webrev: 650 grep support for -q would be useful

Yuri Pankov yuri.pankov at gmail.com
Thu May 5 10:41:29 PDT 2011

(including developer@ for others to look at)

https://www.xvoid.org/illumos/stuff/bsdgrep.diff

> 2: There are better ways to handle the install rules.
> I've attached an updated Makefile for you.
> (If you just use it, I'm happy with that.)

Done, thanks.

> 3: There are a few cstyle complaints.   When third-party code
>   has lots of cstyle issues, I'm inclined to give it a "pass" on the
>   cstyle (in which case, added it to $WS/exception_lists/cstyle).
>   But in this case, there are not that many, so I suggest you just
>   go ahead and fix them.  ( cstyle -pPc *.[ch] )

Done as well, thanks again (was using just `cstyle`, without
options....). I had to silence lint though, as the E_BAD_FORMAT_STR2
really looks as false positive there, please tell me if I'm wrong...
Other lint options are turned off to stop lint whining over zlib.h,
which isn't in our src tree.

> If you take care of those and update your webrev,
> I'll reply with a public "looks good".

Webrev updated at https://www.xvoid.org/illumos/webrev/650-bsdgrep/ .

The binary itself - https://www.xvoid.org/illumos/stuff/grep .

Please note that the source used now is from FreeBSD HEAD and the
changes included in the diff include some bugfixes for issues found
while testing it (submitted upstream) - I've done full nightly build
with lint having this grep as /usr/bin/{,e,f}grep (and not having gnu
grep installed at all).

At least one grep invocation in usr/src/tools/scripts/nightly.sh has to
be changed - the one with '|%WHOANDWHERE|', either escape |'s or don't
use egrep (just grep should do fine there, not sure why egrep was used
everywhere in that file). A diff for nightly.sh with a lot more changes
making sure we call just `grep` while we are here:

https://www.xvoid.org/illumos/stuff/nightly.sh.diff

Yuri