[illumos-Developer] grep -Z etc? (decompress! was: webrev: 650 grep support for -q ...)

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Fri May 6 19:44:33 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Yuri Pankov <yuri.pankov at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> This way it would be easier to just use XPG4 sed.. no reason in this
> import then.
>
> Yuri

Well, after talking to some people about this, it does seem that
people expect "grep" to have the features of the BSD version.
I do think we should integrate the BSD version.

Yuri, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm just giving you a hard time.

I am a little disappointed there is not a more general way to do
an arbitrary action on lots of files, whether compressed or not,
etc. etc. but that design mistake is already baked into enough
places so there's little hope of fixing it now.  So I'll just drop that
concern.  (We live in an imperfect world :)

We also have a dependency mess in illumos.  That too has been
there for quite a while.  I'd like to avoid making that mess worse,
meaning we should think about it before adding dependencies
on things outside of illumos.  And we've done that (thought about
the implications.)  In this case, I'd be satisfied to see two issues
created to ask for integration of zlib and gzlib into illumos.

I do still think it looks a little cleaner to run the decompress in a
separate process (which could be any program you like) but that
does seem to be more a matter of style, particularly if we plan
to have all those decompress libraries in illumos anyway.

Gordon