[illumos-Developer] grep -Z etc? (decompress! was: webrev: 650 grep support for -q ...)

Guido Berhoerster guido+illumos.org at berhoerster.name
Sat May 7 01:27:16 PDT 2011

* Gordon Ross <gordon.w.ross at gmail.com> [2011-05-07 04:44]:
> I am a little disappointed there is not a more general way to do
> an arbitrary action on lots of files, whether compressed or not,
> etc. etc. but that design mistake is already baked into enough
> places so there's little hope of fixing it now.  So I'll just drop that

Baked into what places? I'd say this is mostly a feature for
convenient interactive usage. Why not add a simple tree walking
command to Illumos later (e.g. a small convenience command
similar to AT&T's tw)?
"tw grep foo" is not much longer than "grep -r foo *" but much
more clean and useful in general.

--
Guido Berhoerster