[illumos-Developer] making -a default for ifconfig?

Sriram Narayanan sriram at belenix.org
Mon May 30 09:06:42 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Mike La Spina <mike.laspina at laspina.ca> wrote:
> While there may be many instances where issuing an admin tool execution without parms generates a usage reply it should not cause an exclusion of more desired behavior requested from the actual primary users (Many admins in this case).

On some of my Belenix servers at work, I've aliased ifconfig to
ifconfig -a. On my laptop I've left this unaliased.

> So my point is that we should not discourage our community from suggesting better usability with the core tools when it's simply and easy to accommodate.

Indeed. Though in this case I saw a nice discussion. I valued this
discussion since it reminded me that it's such small
fixes/conveniences that we need to pay attention to and discuss the
merits/demerits of.

Belenix: www.belenix.org