[illumos-Discuss] SPARC

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Wed Aug 18 15:10:35 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 15:01 -0700, Gary wrote:
> Are we talking about SPARC "enterprise" procs (SPARC64 VI, VII, and
> some day VIIIfx, T1-2+) and any class of machine from the last decade
> that's supported by Solaris 8-10 or is there an interest in supporting
> sun4m, sun4d, sun4c, etc. older platforms as well? It might simplify
> things if the focus is only on sun4u and sun4v architectures as those
> are the only ones supported by Solaris 10 (plus x86, of course). Has
> it really been 5.5 years since Solaris 10 came out?

I have no plans to support any SPARC processor older than than a sun4u
Ultra-II.  (We could reinstate Ultra-1 cpus, but they are insecure
unless you run in 32-bit mode, and *no way* am I going to advocate
supporting 32-bit sparc kernels anymore -- we just don't have the kind
of resources that effort would take, and the payoff would be minuscule.

	- Garrett