[illumos-Discuss] SPARC

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Wed Aug 18 15:56:22 PDT 2010

Garrett D'Amore writes:
> I have no plans to support any SPARC processor older than than a sun4u
> Ultra-II.  (We could reinstate Ultra-1 cpus, but they are insecure
> unless you run in 32-bit mode, and *no way* am I going to advocate
> supporting 32-bit sparc kernels anymore -- we just don't have the kind
> of resources that effort would take, and the payoff would be minuscule.

I would like to see the USI chips back in the game.  Your point about
32bit kernels is valid, but I wouldn't worry too much.  Anyone who
actually wants to run an Illumos-based distro on an Ultra1/140 should
know what he is doing anyway. :-)

Cheers -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 45
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt