[illumos-Discuss] SPARC

Frank Middleton f.middleton at apogeect.com
Wed Aug 18 16:48:25 PDT 2010

On 08/18/10 16:16, Hernan Saltiel wrote:

> we're interested, but have no SPARC machine to work with...poor us...

You can get used SPARCs at unbelievably low prices  - maybe they'll even
pay you to take them away :-).  And since Sun IMO was always ahead of the
technology curve, an older SPARC might have features even relatively new
PCs might not. And what's really cool is that with the exception of certain
ancient frame buffers, you know the hardware will be supported. Well,
until very recently, that is :-(.

> Does anybody have any idea about some server to have access to?

Sorry, not full time. I guess Sun's test farm isn't available unless
you work for Oracle. Wouldn't it be nice if one of the cloud vendors
set up a SPARC based cloud? Now there's an interesting business
idea...

Cheers -- Frank