[illumos-Discuss] SPARC

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Aug 19 01:28:50 PDT 2010

"Matt Lewandowsky" <matt at greenviolet.net> wrote:

> I agree with Garrett on "x86 first, then see what breaks on SPARC", at least
> while Illumos is young. The project is currently at a point where it needs
> to be usable on at least one architecture. Unfortunately, the resources to
> keep both in sync aren't yet there, I don't think. That means a decision
> needs to be made as to which gets priority. I think everyone will agree that
> x86 is the no-brainer answer.

Starting this way may cause a similar desater as we see with the include files
with interfaces from the kernel. In 2003 the Linux kernel developers started to
destroy their include files (making them inconsistent when included from a user
level application). If they had been chided for this early enough, there had
been a chace to avoid the resulting problem.

I strongly vote for fixing bugs early.

This however means that someone needs to install a Sparc with the right sw base
to be able to compile and report.

Jörg