[illumos-Discuss] Compiling rest New Sol / Tutoring for participation

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 08:18:08 PDT 2010

I understand that Illumos is for OS/Net and making available and testing
the base part of Opensolaris bits and that there is for others to
install and build other bits.
There is nice wiki instructions to after snv_134 Opensolaris, upgrade to
145 illumos and to build newer ON/Net after that.

Now I am thinking, what could be done for the rest of it?
I wasn't actually much aware of organized community teams with knowledge
of building other consolidations (JDS etc..) and program porting.  (I
guess before Opensolaris memo breakup, all that were doing people inside
Orcl. and rest of people just expected binaries to appear in regular
.iso's).
Now it seems that we (the people, users) need to build all of that, and
make binaries available to others to actually use them and take some
testing and fixing in between.
Ways how to distribute those updates could be various, of course, but
let's assume that is IPS repo for community releases of consolidations
(and program ports in same manner after that) so that Opensolaris users
could easily update to it.

Myself at the moment considerably lacks of knowledge for consolidation
building and IPS package making and making working IPS publisher for them.

But I am willing to learn and sort of do effort of doing things about that.
I know that knowledge does not fall from trees but I also think that
with some king of guidance ("read this, read that") i could be valuable
apprentice and while catching up on the way, to be valuable part of
Community, while actually doing some valuable tasks that could help
others, while making something for myself at the same time.

Do you think that tutoring/apprentice model for widening "community of
willing" could be a good move for Open Source Solaris and its
distribution(s) and users?
Like the starter list of knowledge needed for several distinctive ROLES
within community with sort of "upgrade learning path" for community members.
This seems like time when every man counts and might work out as strong
cohesive way of widening and new participation.
I am here and won't go. What do you think about it?