[illumos-Discuss] gdamore wishes he knew what would motivate more developers to work on illumos bugs....

Bryan Cantrill bryancantrill at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 07:32:58 PST 2010

> Bryan, I am not interested in a flame war.

Your tone suggests otherwise.

> I am interested in helping
> Garrett sorting out his problems and making Illumos a living, vibrant
> project. There's been enough forking and disagreement.

Really?  Educate me: what other forks are out there?  My feeling is
that there hasn't been enough forking; I think some forking is healthy
for the community because it acts as a check on the kinds of behaviors
that you appear to be concerned about.

> We need to start to work together.

There are (much) better ways to provide the feedback that you wish to
provide.  In particular, Garrett has done a tremendous amount of heavy
lifting for illumos; it is not only ineffective but (frankly)
disrespectful to not at least acknowledge this when providing your
feedback.  Further, if your objective is to help Garrett and not to
simply sound off, why not communicate privately?  Not everything need
be public -- and there is much that is more effective when it is
delivered privately...

        - Bryan