[illumos-Discuss] gdamore wishes he knew what would motivate more developers to work on illumos bugs....

Gleb Kursou kursou.gleb at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 07:45:25 PST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Bryan Cantrill <bryancantrill at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Bryan, I am not interested in a flame war.
>
> Your tone suggests otherwise.

No, my tone is required because I don't think Garrett will ever change
without someone banging the truth at his head.

>> I am interested in helping
>> Garrett sorting out his problems and making Illumos a living, vibrant
>> project. There's been enough forking and disagreement.
>
> Really?  Educate me: what other forks are out there?

We get the forks: The German Research Foundation will have it's
Illumos fork for pNFS development, the university of Utrecht will fork
Illumos for mobile devices, the Free University of Berlin will fork
Illumos as general purpose OS and Joerg Schily will fork Illumos, too.
I don't care about Mr. Schily but already three *major* organisations,
potent and wealthy, decided to fork Illumos because they do not see a
point in a cooperation with the current Illumos organization.
This is *bad*.

> My feeling is
> that there hasn't been enough forking; I think some forking is healthy
> for the community because it acts as a check on the kinds of behaviors
> that you appear to be concerned about.

IMO there were enough forks, remember each fork means a final split
instead of cooperation. The community which was once Opensolaris was
already weak and with more forks it gets weaker each time. *We* get
weaker.

>> We need to start to work together.
>
> There are (much) better ways to provide the feedback that you wish to
> provide.  In particular, Garrett has done a tremendous amount of heavy
> lifting for illumos; it is not only ineffective but (frankly)
> disrespectful to not at least acknowledge this when providing your
> feedback.  Further, if your objective is to help Garrett and not to
> simply sound off, why not communicate privately?  Not everything need
> be public -- and there is much that is more effective when it is
> delivered privately...

I agree that Garrett did a tremendous amount of heavy *engineering*
work. Amazing work. But my concern is not engineering, my concern is
about building a community. Garrett so far drove away many people
who'd been interested in Opensolaris contributions. Companies and
universities included.

There is no feeling of *we* here. But this is what's needed most. A
*we*. A *community*. This is why Garrett needs a wakeup call. A large
one.

Gleb