[illumos-Discuss] Why did we fork Illumos? [Re: [osol-discuss] gdamore wishes he knew what would motivate more developers to work on illumos bugs....]

Robert Milkowski milek at task.gda.pl
Tue Dec 7 10:11:00 PST 2010

Hi,

I haven't contributed (yet?) to Illumos although I did contributed in
many ways to Open Solaris in the past.
I'm also watching Illumos very closely.

Despite lack of any contribution to Illumos on my part I feel strongly
to defend Garret.
 From what I've seen here so far he is actually doing pretty well.
And if it wasn't for him and Nexenta nothing probably would have happened.
Or at least he has delivered and keeps doing a great job.

I would advise anyone to try contributing here first and then if for
some reason it doesn't work think about forking. The only big dispute
I've seen here was between Joerg and the rest. And frankly, while he is
a really good programmer he is rather very hard to interact with, be it
Open Solaris, Linux or Illumos communities. At least this has been my
observation over many years. I definitely wouldn't base my opinion on
Illumos or Garret's leadership on interaction with Joerg.

Whatever project you are working on, imho it is almost always better to
at least try to join efforts here rather then fork, at least for now.
And hey, forking is easy and you can do it at any time in the future for
whatever reason.

I also agree with many others that stat while a really good piece of
software, doesn't really belong in Illumos. Same applies for mutt,
alpine, firefox, etc. They belong in distributions.
I'm pretty sure that star and other excellent programs he wrote will
end-up (if they haven't already) in OpenIndiana and other distributions
based on Illumos. But it really doesn't belong here.

While this is not entirely the same but still - would you expect star to
be integrated into Linux kernel project? I don't think so.

Best regards,
  Robert Milkowski