[illumos-Discuss] Why did we fork Illumos? [Re: [osol-discuss] gdamore wishes he knew what would motivate more developers to work on illumos bugs....]

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Fri Dec 3 07:28:21 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 03:21 -0800, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:
> > Because we've observed Garrett D'Amore and Illumos over  the course of
> > two months beginning with September 2010 and our conclusion is  that we
> > can't join forces with Illumos at the current time if we wish to  spend
> > money from German and EU funding pools. One side has praised  Garrett
>
> And you have managed to conclude all these things in just two months?
> Come on let's be serious! I suspect that you (or your organization) wants
> the leadership of the project for your own reasons.  As about your fork.
> it will have fewer users than Minix has. I am really pissed off with this
> beauracratic crap!
>
> A.S.

(I've removed opensolaris-discuss@ -- this doesn't pertain to that group
at all.)

I just read Knut's message.

Knut, I have yet to make a substantial unilateral solution.  There are
two councils, and every significant decision has gone past them, except
in a few cases where I've decided that I didn't need to proceed further
because of feedback received on the wider mailing lists.

What I *suspect* is that you are responding to the experiences of a
single individual, who has consistently refused to follow the processes
that the other contributors (including me) follow, and who has gone so
far as to "hold all his other changes hostage" unless his favorite
program is integrated -- even when the overwhelming sentiment from the
councils is that integrating that program would probably be a mistake.

Fork if you like -- remember that until I started this project and did
the underlying engineering work, that wasn't even a *possibility*.  But
do it for the right reasons; I hope you're not doing it because one
fairly toxic individual has thrown a temper tantrum.

I would encourage anyone who has questions or concerns about my
leadership to ask either developer-council@ or admin-council@, or even
approach me directly.  So far nobody has done so in a manner than can
even be remotely described as "constructive".

Btw, at a time fairly soon, there will be a formal process whereby the
councils will be able to select different leaders if they are unhappy
with the current leadership.