[illumos-Discuss] gdamore wishes he knew what would motivate more developers to work on illumos bugs....

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Tue Dec 7 11:55:13 PST 2010

It has been asked, that "gdamore wishes he knew what would motivate
more developers to work on illumos bugs".

My problem is that I a) would like to contribute to a professional
minded open source operating system project, preferrably illumos or
freebsd and b) don't know how to, especially since I am c) only
semi-literate in C and have no developing experience.

My interest is academically driven (I am a part-time student of
computer science, concentrating on operating and distributed systems).
However, I am not only limited in abilities (see c), but also in time
(I work full-time as a master data manager in a large SAP project).
Thus, I have to exercise extreme discipline with my time to make end
meet (academically and professionally). Secondly, I am motivated by my
wish to find some day employment in the architecture, management and
operation of unixoid computer systems.

I really would like to contribute in my admittedly limited scope. Now,
I don't know where to start and what to offer. Most importantly, I
cannot asses whether any "contribution" would generate any benefit to
the project as such and would not generate further hassle to "someone
to oversee the newbie".

Furthermore, I am not afraid to admit, I am more than a bit intimidated
by the "tone" on the list, although I am told that I should take much of
what I interpret as "bad vibrations" with a grain of salt.

Taking the "... what would motivate ...": Motivation is not a problem
from my part, rather the "how". So, I would be interested in your
opinion on whether and how somebody with very limited coding abilities
and time could contribute to Illumos. (I would very well understand any
conclusion leading to a "Sorry, chap, but you can't.")

Thank you for thoughts, cheers
--
Christopher J. Ruwe
TZ GMT + 1