[illumos-Discuss] Boot failure on SPARC

Andrej Podzimek andrej at podzimek.org
Sat Oct 2 11:59:27 PDT 2010

>> Hello,
>>
>> upgrading x86 machines according to this howto
>> [http://www.illumos.org/projects/illumos-gate/wiki/How_To_Build_illumos] has
>> worked for me so far. I tried to apply the same approach on a SPARC machine,
>> but the machine won't boot any more. :-(
>>
>> The original boot environment was a build 145 compiled from the OpenSolaris
>> repository. Then I performed the following steps from the howto:
>>
>> 	wget
>> http://hg.illumos.org/illumos-gate/raw-file/tip/usr/src/tools/scripts/onu.sh
>> chmod +x onu.sh pfexec ./onu.sh -Ot os-devel_145 -U os-devel -u
>> http://91.194.74.69:10000
>
> The packages there are x86, there're no sparc packages in that repository.

This explains why the machine cannot boot any longer. :-( It would be definitely worthwhile to add a big fat warning to the howto. Anyway, it seems more than surprising to me that the packaging system allowed this to happen. (!)

Anyway, now I need to

	a) reinstall the system using a network boot image. (Is there a howto for this?)
	b) select another boot image from the 'ok' prompt. (Is this possible?)

Any suggestions?

Andrej