[illumos-Discuss] Boot failure on SPARC

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 23:33:10 PDT 2010

Andrej Podzimek wrote:
>> The packages there are x86, there're no sparc packages in that
>> repository.
>
> This explains why the machine cannot boot any longer. :-( It would be
> definitely worthwhile to add a big fat warning to the howto. Anyway,
> it seems more than surprising to me that the packaging system allowed
> this to happen. (!)
>
> Anyway, now I need to
>
>     a) reinstall the system using a network boot image. (Is there a
> howto for this?)
>     b) select another boot image from the 'ok' prompt. (Is this
> possible?)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Andrej
Whatever it did, it only made new BE. Your old SPARC BE is there
untouched probably.

Try boot from USB image or USB attached CD with latest SPARC image from
genunix.org (134), connecting to zpool and repairing grub (see man
installgrub and hardware instructions or Sparc install instructions).

It Happened to me once without explanation after installing one Illumos
build of mine, that GRUB killed notebook and could not boot (when I
needed to give an demonstration..) but using LiveCD and zpool and grub
commands I repaired GRUB with all previous BE's (including one you
previously had working)