[illumos-Discuss] multi-extent files

Stefan Parvu sparvu at systemdatarecorder.org
Mon Oct 25 00:02:21 PDT 2010

> Well if one wants star to get integrated into IllumOS, then I would
> ask for the integrations of MPlayer!!! I think we should leave the

+1 for mplayer.

> developers of Illumos care about the kernel and the drivers and
> nothing else. Whether star would replace tar or GNU tar (I definitely
> need this as most source code archives cannot be opened with
> SUN's tar), should be left to the distro people to deal with.
> Slackware and Debian are two Linux distributions that differ
> significantly, but the drivers and the kernel are the same...

As far as IllumOS is more than a kernel then I bet the most needed
userland utilties are needed: awk, od, pax, tar etc ... I was thinking
star will be 1st choice for IllumOS because of its life cycle, stability
and quality. Probable I dont see the real reason(s) star was let go for
IllumOS. Strange.

stefan