[illumos-Discuss] multiboot-fu needed

Richard Doty rad at twig.com
Wed Sep 15 06:40:23 PDT 2010

  On 9/14/10 8:30 PM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 19:52 -0700, Richard Doty wrote:
>> All the docs I read say that it isn't possible to install more than one
>> solaris partition on a disk.  Surely that's not literally true.  GRUB
>> seems like it could handle it.  Maybe the limitation is the default
>> installer?  Has anyone cracked this nut already?
> No one has needed to.  You get on Solaris FAT partition, with multiple
> *slices* inside that partition.  But these days with ZFS you don't even
> need to do that... typically you just let ZFS carve up a root pool
> however it wants to, and have different filesystems within that pool
> (which could be multiple boot environments.)
>
> Maybe if we understood what problem you're trying to solve with multiple
> partitions, we could help better?

I boot illumos from CD, and install is using less than the whole disk.
Then I boot openindiana from CD, to install it on some of the remaining
disk.  Woops, installer says I can only have 1 solaris partition.  (pick
any 2 flavors of solaris for this experiment, they all seem to have the
same limitation)

There have been tricks in the past to get linux+win+solaris on the same
disk, but I'd like to have 2 kinds of solaris.

Richard.