[illumos-Discuss] Little question about compilers and a future...

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Sep 17 11:27:41 PDT 2010

Albert Lee <trisk at opensolaris.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Joerg Schilling
> <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> > In order to compile Illumos, you not only need the Sun Studio compiler and Java
> > but also /usr/lib/cpp which is a K&R C preprocessor that is neither part of the
> > onnv consolidation nor part of the Sun Studio consolidation. It was rather
> > unrelated closed source software distrubuted together with SXCE and Indiana
> > under unknown license rules.
> >

> Strange, I noticed the metadata for SUNWcpp in OpenSolaris claims it's
> from the sunpro consolidation, like /usr/bin/make (SUNWsprot).

I am currently working on a self-hosting SchilliX, this is why I created a OSS
replacement for cpp.

"make" (dmake) is part of the Sun Studio consolidation and as you currently
need Sun Studio aynyway, make is not a specific separate problem. I will however
work on a dmake replacement based on smake in the future.

Before I start with this effort, I will however first work on Xorg and GNOME
for SchillIX. This delay does not seem to be a real problem as I expect that we
have more important things things to do now, than to work on a compiler
replacement.

Jörg