[illumos-Discuss] Proposed migration off Mailman

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 00:42:05 PDT 2011

On 06/27/11 05:54, Bryan Horstmann-Allen wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2011, at 23:45, Gordon Ross <gordon.w.ross at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Would there still be a way to browse archives with listbox?
>> As long as we don't lose that, I see no problem with it.
> Yes, functionality is 1:1. (Refraining from .05:1 snark.)
>
> Listbox is an ESP. Deliverability, fallbacks, multi-tenancy, been around for ~15 years.
>
> Listbox's sister company is Pobox.com.

What is actually wrong with mailman?
Why should one want to move self-hosted in-house service backed by open
source software it can control and enhance , to some company-owned
closed proprietary SERVICE that is off-site and uncontrolled?

And again, what is wrong with mailman?
My first thought was - maybe there is some other open source mailing
list software that he is proposing.  But I see no proposition of such
kind. Except someone works/ed at that service company that is proposed
to migrate to.

If we know exactly what is wrong with mailman and why mailing lists
hosting should not stay in-house and inside project-controlled space,
maybe that way mailman could be changed to work better.

It is not only question in mailman versus some other app. (what other
app is alternative for in-house mailing lists that you have in mind?)
It is question of willingness to put main channel of the project
communication in the hands of some greedy closed company that they could
close it any day they like.
Not for and not against.
Yust explain your motives not to be self-hosted.