[illumos-Developer] Intel nb5000 & intel_nhm memory mapping stuff

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Sun Apr 3 18:43:52 PDT 2011

FYI,

I have been researching Intel nb5000 and Intel nhm modules, and I've
noticed that the main thing we don't have is code designed to determine
the mapping between a physical address and a DIMM module.  It seems that
there is a programmatic way to do this, but the method to do it is via
closed code.

Sadly, the open code doesn't have this.

As a result, FMA won't be able to properly report, or possibly fence
off, memory associated with a faulty DIMM.  This lack of ability impacts
our ability to perform certain types of self-healing.

Is there anyone in this audience familiar with the details on these
chips or aware of open code for this functionality that can implement
this for us.  (There are specific functions with signatures, so the
interface is not difficult.)

If you are interested, let me know.  It may require fairly detailed
reading of Intel documentation -- indeed it may require tracking this
documentation down... and I'm not 100% sure that this documentation is
itself public.