[illumos-Developer] How to build individual illumos components

McBofh james.c.mcpherson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 19:16:19 PDT 2011

On 11/04/11 12:02 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 01:17:44PM -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>>   On 04/10/11 07:17 AM, Gary Mills wrote:
>>> While fixing a minor bug in m4, I figured out how to build only that
>>> utility, rather than the whole illumos distribution.  This procedure
>>> seems not to be documented on the illumos wiki.  I'd be happy to
>>> remidy this situation.  Where should this information go on the wiki?
>>
>> There's a reason its not documented.  It won't work all utilities,
>> especially those with library dependencies.  However, as a note, doing
>> "make setup" in the top level, plus a "make install" in the directory of
>> interest, usually works if the utility is self contained.
>
> So, does that mean that the procedure should not be documented?  I'm
> certainly willing to desist.

I don't see any problem with documenting it; if I'm working
on just one part of the tree, I often do not want to worry
about having to get a full nightly build done before I can
start making changes.

Perhaps you could mention that the procedure can used as an
reasonable way to get started, but is no substitute for a full
nightly build.

McB