[illumos-Developer] How to build individual illumos components

shampavman shampavman.cg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 20:03:19 PDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: McBofh [mailto:james.c.mcpherson at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 7:46 AM
To: Gary Mills
Cc: developer at lists.illumos.org
Subject: Re: [illumos-Developer] How to build individual illumos components

On 11/04/11 12:02 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 01:17:44PM -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>>   On 04/10/11 07:17 AM, Gary Mills wrote:
>>> While fixing a minor bug in m4, I figured out how to build only that
>>> utility, rather than the whole illumos distribution.  This procedure
>>> seems not to be documented on the illumos wiki.  I'd be happy to
>>> remidy this situation.  Where should this information go on the wiki?
>>
>> There's a reason its not documented.  It won't work all utilities,
>> especially those with library dependencies.  However, as a note,
>> doing "make setup" in the top level, plus a "make install" in the
>> directory of interest, usually works if the utility is self contained.
>
> So, does that mean that the procedure should not be documented?  I'm
> certainly willing to desist.

I don't see any problem with documenting it; if I'm working on just one part
of the tree, I often do not want to worry about having to get a full nightly
build done before I can start making changes.

Perhaps you could mention that the procedure can used as an reasonable way
to get started, but is no substitute for a full nightly build.
Iit will not work with every component that you will eventually build.Having
said that It might be useful nonetheless and perhaps can be added to the
wiki with a "DISCLAIMER" that it "Will not work" for every component.

Also an incremental build can be done for changes ,I believe that should
sort out some issues.

Regards
Shampavman

McB